Friday, June 17, 2011

Reconsidering My Words

Sorry it has taken so long to get out another post. I have been going through a rough time. Adjustments to the feeding tube have resulted in weight loss, and consequently, strength. I am currently unable to operate my computer independently, making it difficult to keep up with the blog after getting through email when I have help. Hopefully all of this will change soon. Until it does, I will try to get out a post at least once a month.

It has always amazed me how new approaches to healing seem to emerge just when you need them. After the insertion of the feeding tube provided my wake-up call, Howard Guttman’s quotes of my own words in his latest book and Dr. Craig Oster’s Healers of ALS (HALS) revealed to me practices I had been neglecting and needed to re-implement. In addition, the HALS group has been helping me to explore more deeply the psychological paths to healing. A new member of the group may also have made a valuable contribution to my dietary regimen. Although she has been living with ALS for a much shorter time and is less advanced in her progression than I, she has had greater success in reversing symptoms. While we both follow primarily a raw vegan diet, there are a few elements to her diet that I have deliberately omitted. I am currently investigating a program that I believe guided her efforts, and one which claims to have reversed several cases of ALS.

Along with my HALS involvement, I have been working with a fellow by the name of Marty Murray. I didn’t know what had originated Marty’s interest and dedication to helping PALS heal. During a recent visit to my home I discovered that he is on a mission to make the world healthier. His passion for healing grew out of some personal development activities that led to his discovery of ways to cure his own ailments. He claims that the few who have stayed with his challenging methods have all experienced some sort of turnaround, even those living with ALS. His methods are quite controversial, requiring that PALS accept the premise that the disease is a function of the way they operate. See the website Making-Connections. Some people perceive this as a form of blaming the victim. In my own case, I found that accepting the notion that I have somehow brought this illness on myself is empowering. If I have the power to create it, then I also have the power to heal it. I came to this way of thinking long before either Marty or Dr. Craig entered my life, and have found them both to be welcome partners in strengthening the mental and spiritual components of my healing program.

Recently, while trying to comfort another HALS member, I mentioned that I rarely allow myself more than a few moments in a depressed state. In the past few months, this belief has been challenged several times. Just last week, a trip to the emergency room for dehydration coming from some ill-considered premature changes to my diet, shook my convictions. An ill-conceived prescription (something that I don’t often take) worsened my condition, causing me to suffer for days with severe stomach pain. Throughout this ordeal, I have struggled to fend off thoughts of losing my battle with ALS, and fighting to refocus on my intention, affirmations, and healing practices. It has been incredibly difficult. Fortunately, as the pain has eased so has the struggle. I finally feel like I am getting back on track. Moral of this story is: it’s a lot easier to follow your intention when you are feeling well, but you may become totally lost without one. How many of you have found your intention to be a valuable compass in guiding you back to a positive perspective?

7 comments:

  1. When I was working on Diagnosis Murder back in 1999, I met a woman who later became my wife. She gave me a book entitled "Tuesdays with Morrie." I read it in a few hours (I never read that fast usually) and it inspired me. Morrie would allow himself a little time each morning to feel sorry for himself, then after that time stopped mourning. Stay strong in spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the thing, to keep going, manifesting your intention, even when things are really tough or uncomfortable.

    I mean, if you are going to break down when things are tough, that means you have a breaking point, a limit.

    Hmm. Even following my own advice as I speak.

    To ensure that one stays well, one basically has to have no breaking point and be unlimited and the more that this is true for a person, the more readily the person is going to succeed in changing things for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite flamboyantly gay Religious Science minister once re-framed those moments for me. "I was so depressed yesterday (then a list of his woes)... but I KNOW in God's mind I'm perfect, and so I said, 'Okay, fine then. I'm going to be the BEST DEPRESSED EVER!"

    Now when I'm swarming with negative thoughts I turn the tables on them by enjoying it - passionately, humorously, selfishly. And then it passes and I'm centered. So have someone throw a feather boa around your shoulders and be dramatic once in a while. Lord knows you've earned the right. Then it passes. And you can get back to work. :)

    I love you, Joe. Happy Father's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just want to share my story so i can reach out to others. My mom was diagnosed with ALS (Lou gehrig's disease) in the summer of 2013. She is my best friend and all i have got in this world. And I was scared because when the doctor told me about how deadly this disease is i could not help but cry. She suffered all through the time, she could no longer walk as all her bones were weak, speak or even eat, this were years of torment as i have never seen anything like it or ever been so scared in my life and i wept as the days go by. We tried several drugs like Riluzole, and various therapy that was prescribed by the doctor but it came out even worse as she became very thin. She is 65 years old. I actually thought i was going to loose her after all i have spent. I was in church one day when a fellow in the christian faith told me about a doctor who has a cure and that this doctor had cured a colleague she knew suffered from ALS, i was in shock and recalled the doctor once told me there was no cure, she gave me the doctor's contact and i contacted him and told him all we have been through and he told me about his very effective herbal medicine that treats it permanently, though at that time i did not believe but i wanted my mom to be okay again so i decided to give a try and he sent me the medicine which i gave her as instructed by the doctor. In a month time i was amazed at the improvement and by the second month she was completely okay, during all these times she did not experience any side effects. To confirm all these we went back to the doctor to confirm, he ran all the tests and found no trace of ALS in her again. Today my mom can run, jog, eat and speak fine without any assistance currently she is baby sitting my daughter and till now she is still very strong. If you are suffering from ALS (Lou gehrig's disease) do not die in silence because there is still hope for you. Contact the doctor on (josephalberteo@gmail.com) i am very sure he can help you too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a sign of gratitude for how my husband was saved from ALS, i decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
    My husband was diagnosed of ALS in 2013 and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because he was my all and the symptoms were terrible, he always have trouble swallowing , and he always complain of Weakness of the body . we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure him. I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony by someone who was cured and so many other with similar body problem, and he left the contact of the doctor who had the cure to ALS. I never imagined ALS has a natural cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my husband will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my husband used it and in one months he was fully okay even up till this moment he is so full of life. ALS has a cure and it is a herbal cure contact the doctor for more info on drwilliams098675@gmail.com on how to get the medication. Thanks for reading my testimony.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mother was diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) when she was 68 years old 2 years ago. The Rilutek (riluzole) did very little to help her. The medical team did even less. Her decline was rapid and devastating. Her arms weakened first, then her hands and legs. Last year, a family friend told us about Ogbeifun Herbal formula and his successful ALS TREATMENT, we contacted him. and ordered his ALS Formula, i am happy to report the treatment effectively treated and reversed her Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), most of the symptoms stopped, she is able to walk and eat well, sleep well and exercise regularly., she is pretty active now and her attitude is extremely positive.i joyfully recommend you to dr ogbeifun because health is wealth this is a very bad experience with those living with ALS please do not hesitate to contact him ogbefunhearlingtemple@gmail.com or call/whatsapp him via +2348102574680

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would like to thank Ultimate Health Home for reversing my father's Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS). My father’s ALS condition was fast deteriorating before he started on the ALS Herbal medicine treatment from Ultimate Health Home. He was on the treatment for just 6 months and we never thought my father will recover so soon. He has gained some weight in the past months and he is able to walk with no support. You can contact them at ultimatehealthhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete